Okay so I had downloaded OFF on my laptop that broke some time ago and now I have a new one. Right now I’m interested in playing it again but none of the links, not even the official ones, are working. Would anyone happen to know why? Was it like taken down or something? If not where could I get it at?
Why am I always listening to this song when I’m CLEANING?
As someone who writes fics with action sequences and the use of guns, I thought maybe it would be helpful to pass some things on. Even though I’ve done lots of research and talked with family members (I live in WI which is a big hunting state and we have lots of guns), I still catch myself making mistakes with specific terms and their usage. Reading more James Bond fics lately, I catch others making mistakes also. So here is a little guide to help writers.
- A ‘clip’ is something that stores multiple rounds of ammunition. It is not what you would insert into a handgun to load it. Clips make loading into a magazine easier because they simply store the rounds. It helps with organization.
- A magazine is what feeds the ammunition into the barrel. Magazines vary in capacity. They, unlike clips, are spring-loaded, which helps the ammunition move in the gun. So, when you want a character to reload, they would use a pre-loaded magazine, NOT a clip.
- A silencer is really a suppressor. ‘Silencer’ is a word that’s used in media to refer to a suppressor that doesn’t exist in real life. Guns that are suppressed will still be loud and have a sound. This is because compressed air will still leak out of the end of the barrel, you can’t silence a bullet moving extremely fast through the air, and you can’t silence the mechanical parts on a gun. There will be a noise, but it just won’t be as loud or more importantly, alert people in a nearby area that a gun was just fired. SO suppressor is a much more accurate term technically speaking.
- There are different kinds of suppressors. One important kind suppresses the muzzle flash. It’s likely a sniper would use this more than they would want to use a sound suppressor, as the muzzle flash more easily enables you to be spotted when you don’t want to be. These are simply referred to as flash suppressors.
- After a handgun runs out of ammunition, the slide will lock back into place and you will know that it is out. There is no ‘click’ signifying an empty weapon that is so dramatized in movies and tv. A more likely scenario that would prevent a gun from firing would be a jam. Or programming the gun to recognize certain palm prints.
- A great place for writers, in particular fanfic writers, who want information on guns is imfdb. You can find out what guns are used in movies and shows, and what guns characters use. You can also just search for guns.
- If you want to get really specific, check out YouTube. There are users who will post reviews of guns on there, which can be really helpful if you want to see how a particular gun looks or how to shoot it.
So yeah! Here are just a few basic tips if you want to write a fic where a character uses guns.
I would really like to link to this podcast episode about writing guns, because these writers know a lot more about writing, guns, and writing guns, than I do, and I learned a great deal from them.
Another reminder to do with writing characters with guns: There is a distinct difference between your character knowing about guns, and you as the writer knowing about guns.
It is entirely appropriate for some characters to refer to a magazine incorrectly and call it a ‘clip’, but you have to make clear distinctions between whether the character is misinformed or if you’re just writing something that is plain wrong.
If you’re going to have characters who are not used to or familiar with guns, you have to be very careful to show that you know what is right and wrong. To play on the safe side, it’s best to know as much as you possibly can. If you’re using a specific, existing gun, check a few things before you write it in:
- Does this gun have a manual safety? - A lot of common handguns that writers might pick will not have a manual thumb safety. Having a sentence such as “He flicked the safety on his Glock” will thereby kick a reader who knows that gun out of the story, because most Glocks do not have a manual safety.
- How many rounds fit in a magazine for this gun? - You don’t want to suffer from the infinite ammo issue that is so common in movies. You don’t have to be incredibly pedantic in every scene if you’re not numbering how many bullets are shot, but don’t have someone fire 600 rounds without reloading their assault rifle. Also remember, dropping the magazine from a cocked gun does not make it harmless. This is a bit of a minor detail, and hardly likely to come up often, but the chamber of the gun (The section of the barrel where the next bullet to be used is stored) will most likely still have a single round in it.
- There are several other questions you may want to ask, but these two came to mind right away.
But no matter what, when you’re writing guns, you need to make sure they function realistically. Whether or not your characters know all these details or not it up to you, but you, the writer need to know these details and you need to get them right.
and one last one:
- Guns make noise. If you’ve just had a 10 minute gun fight with a bunch of other people, you’re not going to be able to go straight into a conversation at normal volume. Your ears are going to be ringing, you’re going to have to shout to hear each other. Trained professionals use hearing protection when using firearms. Firing guns all day every day will cause permanent hearing damage, and sometimes you need to account for the fact that guns can be really fucking loud.
Everyone who reblogs this by May the 6th gets a personal drawing of what I think your URL or blog is like. I promise.
don’t you hate it when you offer help and the other person says yes
why do so many people think spiders are evil and out to get you
look at this fucking nerd run away in an overly dramatic cartoonish way just because something touched its butt
FavoritesFood: Probably..uh.. I don’t know man
Drink: Blueberry Tea
Book: Don’t have one
Favorite Author: No
Song: Currently it is “Pretty Little Head” by Eliza Rickman.
TV Show: Torchwood
Band/group: Sea Wolf, IAMX, or Funeral Suits.
Solo Artist: what
Place: My room
School Subject: Biology or History
Sport: Nah son
Male Actor: no
Female Actor: no
Best Friends: I have like three
Siblings: Three older brothers and one younger sister.
Dream Job: Concept artist for movies.
Piercings: Just my ears.
Reason Behind URL: I was looking for something that sounded cool and wasn’t associated with fandoms and now it has really grown on me.
# of Posts: 51,968
Why You Joined: I don’t ever remember man
First URL: EccentricallyDelicious
# of Blogs: I have three but this is the only one I actually use.
COME HERE TUMBLR USERS LET ME SHOW YOU A THING
ARTISTS, WRITERS, AND LEFTIES ALIKE HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS THING COUNTLESS TIMES
ITS FREAKING ANNOYING AND CAN SMUDGE UP YOUR ART OR WRITING
BUT LOOK AT THIS THING
YES, THATS RIGHT
NO MORE CUTTING UP GLOVES OR TRYING TO KEEP YOUR HAND AT AN AWKWARD ANGLE TO AVOID SMUDGING
AND YOU KNOW WHAT’S EVEN BETTER?????
THEY HAVE IT FOR BOTH FINGERS TOO NOW SO YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE PINKIE OR YOUR RING FINGER
IT EVEN COMES IN MULTIPLE COLORS
AND THE BEST PART?!?!
IT WORKS FOR STOPPING FRICTION ON YOUR TABLET AND MAKES THE SCREEN NOT PICK UP THE PRESSURE OF YOUR HAND (there are example videos on the site)
YOU CAN FIND IT HERE
OH MY GOD I NEEEEEEEED
god is real
if you accidentally misgender someone, or say the wrong name, just correct yourself in the same manner as if you called a cis person by the wrong name or pronouns, which is not unknown because we are all capable of verbal slips.
sometimes i accidentally call people my dog’s name, or i call them “mom”
the right way to do this is “[wrong name], excuse me, [correct name]” or “[wrong pronoun], I’m sorry [correct pronoun]”
if you accidentally mess up someone’s pronouns, do not call attention to it by falling over yourself to apologize.
conversely, do not just move on and hope they didn’t notice. they definitely noticed. not correcting yourself is offensive, and pretending that you didn’t mess up is a form of gaslighting.
if you feel like going the extra mile, apologize the next time you’re alone with them, without excuses. say “I’m sorry that I misgendered you” or “I’m sorry called you the wrong name.”
do not say “it’s so hard, and i keep forgetting! I’m so bad!” trans people hear this over and over, and the message is that they should apologize for being who they are.
if someone close to you has changed their name and/or pronouns, and you’re having a difficult time with it, maybe you should practice at home.
The waterproof planetarium floats in water and contains a bright light that projects out into the room, or even into the tub itself when flipped over. It also includes Rose Bath and Deep Ocean graphic domes for changing to a different mood.
WANT WANT WANT!
Oh my gods, I could bathe among the stars..
I NEED THIS FOR REASONS
If the point of the Big Bang Theory was to show that male nerds can be just as sexist as male jocks then well done I guess
Why do people even care about being natural anymore? Like, who cares if that blue hair “Doesn’t look natural”, it doesn’t matter because its fucking rad. “I can totally tell you’re wearing make up” reALLY? I totally thought my black as night winged eyeliner would go unnoticed. Same goes for tattoos, piercings, and pretty much anything else people do that isn’t “Natural”. We’ve gotten to a point in time were people can make food completely artificial and no one seems to be throwing a complete fit over that, so why should you care if someone wants to move along with the future as well?